Oklahoma's National Register of Historic Places

Use your browser's back button to return to the query.

ID Number 85000680
Historic Name DEWEY COUNTY COURTHOUSE
Description of Significance THE DEWEY COUNTY COURTHOUSE SERVED AS THE CENTER OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT IN DEWEY COUNTY FROM 1925 TO THE PRESENT. FURTHER, IT IS THE ONLY STUCCO CLAD COURTHOUSE IN THE STATE. BUILT IN 1925, THE ORIGINAL BRICK EXTERIOR OF THE BUILDING WAS COVERED WITH STUCCO CA 1940. THE COURTHOUSE AREA ALSO INCLUDES AN OLD STUCCO CLAD JAIL AND A FREE-STANDING CONCRETE VAULT BUILT IN 1910. THE OLD JAIL HAS BEEN CONVERTED INTO A LOCAL MUSEUM. LISTED IN NATIONAL REGISTER, 3/22/1985.
Current Name SAME
Address BROADWAY AND RUBLE STREET
City TALOGA
County DEWEY
Lot ALL
Block 83
Current Section 13
Township 18N
Range 17W
Type BUILDING
Historic Function GOVERNMENT: COURTHOUSE/CORRECTIONAL FACILITY
Current Function GOVERNMENT: COURTHOUSE/CORRECTIONAL FACILITY; RECREATION/CULTURE: MUSEUM
Area Signficance 1 ARCHITECTURE
Area Significance 2 POLITICS / GOVERNMENT
Date Prepared 8/23/1984
Year Built 1925
Original Site YES
Architect/Builder JAYNE, MAURICE - ARCHITECT; KRIEPKE-SHAFER CONSTRUCTION CO., BUILDER
Architectural Style NEOCLASSICAL
Roof Material ASPHALT
Wall Material STUCCO
Window Material UNCOLLECTED
Door Material METAL
Decorative Details A CARVED, SEMI-CIRCULAR STONE FRONT PIECE IS FLUSH WITH THE FRONT FAƇADE ABOVE THE CANOPY.
Condition GOOD
Comments
Restricted N